Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The "P" Word!

Oh, Plagiarism!

I think we need to cite our sources because the people we received our information from really do deserve all the credit they can get! I mean, how would we be able to write a paper without the research we do and the people that post this research all over the web for everyone to view? We wouldn't be able to, honestly. Sure, we all have our fair share of wisdom, but face it, we don't know everything, especially when it comes to writing a paper we don't know much about. So, if we look up our information, write our paper based on everything we just read and turned it in without a trace of a citation or credit, we'd be getting into some serious trouble!

I think if someone took all the credit for something I wrote, I would be totally fumed. First of all, I wouldn't steal information from someone else without gicing them credit, so why should they do it to me? If I seriously took my time, put forth tons of effort and spent hours redreading my work and someone just up and took it, I wouldn't even know how to act! I would definitely be confronting them, that's for sure >:)

Real life plagiarism, like stealing someone's hard work in an office/workplace or anything of that sort? That's something that needs to be taken care of, but how? Well, that's a great question... haha! I'm not 100% sure what would be the best way to eliminate this, but keeping your papers between yourself and your boss is a good way of making sure others don't steal your thoughts. If you were to share your paper with other people, they could easily copy your ideas and make it seem like THEy wrote it, not you. Other than that idea, I'm drawing a blank here :b

Wiki and Youtube SOMETIMES give enough credit, but we all know that's not always the case. Anyone can edit Wiki sites and anyone can take a video, change it slightly and post their name on it! Some credit is given, which really just isn't enough. Who knows where half of the information on Wikipedia comes from! Sure, the sources are at the bottom, but what about the parts where people have changed the information around? No one would even know!

Really, I just want to know why people choose not to give credit. It's simple, it's not time consuming and all it takes is a simple tap of the finger on the keys! Since I have learned to cite, I have made sure I never left any out, because I want people to know that I didn't come up with information on my, that I don't obtain all of the world's wisdom and that I got a some help :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsea,

    Your mention of the unreliability of wiki sites reminded me of these 2 sites...

    http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_Tree_Octopus

    My Comp I professor showed us these sites to give us an example of how easy it is to make something up and make a website for it and post about it on a wiki site.

    Tatum

    ReplyDelete